Click here to download a PDF version of our Lockout Demand Letter!

A LOCKOUT IS NOT AN EVICTION. There are many misconceptions about a lockout. Some think it is a way to evict a tenant and others think that the tenant has to pay the delinquent rent in order to be able to reenter the dwelling. The Texas Property Code, §92.0081 - §92.009, describes under what conditions a landlord may change the locks on a rental unit and the tenant's remedies if the law is not followed.

The intended purpose of the lockout law is only to force a tenant who is delinquent in rent to have contact with the landlord to discuss the problem or to arrange payment. Landlords must follow a strict procedure when changing the door locks of a tenant and the tenant must be given a new key whether or not any delinquent rent is paid. A landlord cannot legally, permanently lock a tenant out without going through the eviction process.

In short, the lockout law says:

1. The tenant must be behind on rent.
2. The landlord must give advance, written notice to the tenant.
3. The tenant does not have to pay any money in order to regain entry into the rental unit.
4. A lockout is not an eviction.

Exclusion of a Residential Tenant
In order for a landlord to legally change the door locks of a tenant, the tenant must be delinquent in paying all or part of the rent. A landlord must do the following when changing the door locks of a tenant:

First Notice. At least five calendar days before the date the locks are changed, the landlord must locally mail a written notice to the tenant. This notice may also be hand-delivered to the tenant or posted on the inside of the tenant's front door at least three days before the date the locks are changed. This written notice must state:

1. the earliest date the locks will be changed;
2. the amount of rent the tenant must pay to prevent lockout; and
3. the name and address of the person to whom, or the location of the on-site management office at which, the delinquent rent may be paid during the landlord's normal business hours.

Second Notice. When the locks are changed, the landlord must place a written notice on the outside of the tenant's front door stating:

1. the on-site location where the tenant may go 24 hours a day to obtain the new key, or a telephone number that is answered 24 hours a day that the tenant may call to have the key delivered within two hours after calling the number;
2. the fact that the landlord must provide the tenant with a new key at any hour whether or not the ten- ant pays the rent owed; and
3. the amount of rent and other charges the tenant owes.

A landlord may not change door locks on, or the day before, a day when the landlord isn't available, or an on-site management office isn't open, for the tenant to pay the back rent and late fees. This means the tenant has to have an opportunity to pay the rent due before the locks are to be changed.

The Locks are Changed, Now What?
As soon as the locks are changed, the tenant should request a new key from the landlord. If the tenant arrives at the dwelling "after hours" or if the landlord is not on-site, the tenant should contact the name in the notice that is posted on the door. The landlord must bring a new key within two hours of the tenant requesting it.

Once a landlord is called, the tenant should remain at the rental property at least two hours until the landlord arrives. The reason is that if the landlord responds to the tenant's phone call in a timely manner and the tenant is not there, the landlord just has to leave a notice on the front door of the dwelling stating the time the landlord arrived with the key and the street address to which the tenant may go to obtain the key during the landlord's normal office hours.

A landlord who has changed the door locks of a tenant must give the tenant a key regardless of whether or not the tenant pays the delinquent rent. Some landlords will try to convince the tenant that they do not have the right to live in the rental unit anymore. They will tell the tenant that the door is being unlocked so that the tenant can remove his or her belongings. This is incorrect. The law clearly states that the landlord must give the tenant a new key. The tenant can actually continue living in the dwelling until a court orders an eviction. Any lease clause waiving any of a tenant's rights under the lockout law is void and not enforceable.

What if the Landlord Does not Give the Tenant a Key
If the landlord refuses to give the tenant a new key, the tenant can get assistance from the Justice of the Peace court by requesting an order called a writ of reentry. The tenant will need to specify both in writing and orally as to how the landlord violated the law. The court will typically charge the tenant a fee for the constable to deliver this order to the landlord. The tenant can ask the court to waive this fee by asking for a pauper's affidavit. The tenant will have to disclose some financial information so the judge can make a decision. If the judge approves the pauper's affidavit, the order will be delivered free of charge. This order will require the landlord to allow the tenant access to the rental unit.
As soon as the landlord is served with the writ of reentry, the landlord will need to immediately comply with the order, otherwise face the risk of being arrested and in contempt of court. The constable is also allowed to use reasonable force in executing a writ of reentry.

Tenant Remedies
If a landlord doesn't follow the lawful procedure for changing a tenant's door locks - either by not giving advance notice or not giving the tenant a new key when requested - the tenant have several options. The tenant may:

1. recover possession of the premises or terminate the lease contract; and
2. recover from the landlord a civil penalty of one month's rent plus $500, actual damages, court costs, and reasonable attorney's fees in an action to recover property damages, actual expenses, or civil penal ties, less any delinquent rent or other sums for which the tenant is liable to the landlord.

If a landlord locks out a tenant and will not give the tenant a key unless the tenant pays delinquent rent, a tenant may recover an additional civil penalty of one month's rent from the landlord in a court action.

For Further Assistance

Austin Tenants' Council - A private, nonprofit organization providing information and assistance on all areas of tenant/landlord relations. However, there are no attorneys on staff, and ATC cannot give legal advice. ATC is located at 1619 East Cesar Chavez Street, Austin 78702. Our phone number is 474-1961 and our website is www.housing-rights.org

Lawyer Referral Service - Legal services and referrals are available for clients who are not eligible for Legal Aid. Fees: $20 for the first 30 minutes; additional fees based on services required. The phone number is 472-8303.

Legal Aid of Central Texas - Legal assistance only for low-income residents of Central Texas. It is located at 2201 Post Road, Suite 104, Austin 78704. The phone number is 447-7707.

Legal Services for Students - For UT students only. It is located at 2609 University Avenue, Room 2.112, Austin 78705. The phone number is 471-7796.

Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division - Enforces the Deceptive Trade Practice Act. The mailing address is PO Box 12548, Austin 78711. The phone number is 463-2070.

Justice of the Peace Offices in Travis County

Precinct 1
1811 Springdale Road, Suite 110
Phone: 929-0593

Precinct 2
10409 Burnet Road, Suite 180
Phone: 708-4545.

Precinct 3
2919 Manchaca Road, Suite 202
Phone: 442-6763

Precinct 4
2201 Post Road, Suite 101
Phone: 473-9478

Precinct 5
1000 Guadalupe, Room 112
(County Courthouse) Phone: 473-9049

The information in this brochure is a summary of the subject and other pertinent matters. It should not be considered a substitute for legal advice. Unique facts may render broad statements inapplicable. Anyone needing legal assistance should contact an attorney.


Agency Information:
Programs and Services
Tenant-Landlord Info
Fair Housing Program
Other Resources

landlord's lien
security deposits
small claims court
utility shut off

Printed Materials:
tenant-landlord forms
agency newsletters

Texas Property Code